Subject:
Re: Anybody use wheels on your Workbench?

William Duffield
One of my local woodworking associations has a bench with wheels that we use monthly. The wheels are retractable (most easily with a ratcheting socket wrench) and were supplied with the bench height mechanism by Geoff Noden's Adjust-a-Bench. They work very well, but are a little slow to set up and take down.

My other local woodworking guild also has a bench with retractable wheels, but I would have to go look at it again to ascertain it's mechanism.

The bench in my shop has adjustable bolt actuated feet. I keep them adjusted to a height that I can get a floor jack under the end trestles. I lift one end at a time and roll a furniture dolly underneath, and let the jack down. I put the jack under the other end, and lift it. After I've moved it where I want it, I reverse the process to set it back on the floor.

I have had more than one set of tires on wheels crumble, including the wheels on my Industrial SawStop mobile base. I need to ask them for a new set of wheels. Before the wheel failure, that base made the SawStop my most easily mobile piece of equipment.

I have 3" locking casters under my router table. All 4 casters swivel and lock. Usually, though, one pair of caster lock levers is somewhere under the table, where I can't easily step on it, so if I need a stable platform for routing heavy stock, I need to lock one pair and push the table around until the other pair are exposed. That is not the most convenient arrangement, and I could not recommend it for a several hundred pound workbench, but it is acceptable for my router table.

My radial arm saw's base has wheels as well. but they do not swivel. That is not a problem, as I only need to roll the RAS back and forth along the wall. I don't need wheel locks on the casters either, as I have built a pair of chocks that I keep under the front casters. I just knock them out when I need to move it. I made them from two wedges of plywood, held in place with a small block of plywood on the front side, glued and screwed in place. They also have rubber pads on the bottom for additional friction. They should probably have handles for convenience, but I just knock them out and back in place with a dead blow mallet.

I'm in the process of building a short carving bench with a slate top, that will have a large Oliver patternmaker's vise and a mechanic's vise on it. I hope it will not be so heavy I can't lift one end at a time to operate the Adjust-a-Bench I am putting under it.

Too many choices? Sorry, but I hope you find one that works for your situation.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081