Subject:
Re: Thanks Jesse, great detail...

Sgian Dubh
"What is serious money? Now that I have been caught and forced into making chairs what are the possibilities for profit?"

Having made a number of typical four legged dining type chairs over the years, i.e., two shaped an profiled short front legs, two curved long rear legs, comb and back splat(s), angled side rails, plus a variety of seats, e.g., shaped solid, drop-in, stuff-over, carvers (with arms), I think it's true to say that being able to price to make a profit can be tricky. Typically, for a relatively complex chair I allow anywhere between forty to sixty hours to prototype the first one, after which I generally reckon it can anywhere between 30 and sixty hours per chair for a set of six.

Naturally, the ability to make a profit depends almost entirely on a range of factors. Some chairs are so basic there's little or no prototyping required and you can just jump right in. Chairs with complex geometry, shaping, carving, profiling, and so on can take quite a while to work out all the technical challenges before you even get started on the building of the actual set of chairs. Then, of course, once you've worked out how to make the chair(s) in question, and how long the job itself will take, there's the cost of all the material plus profit, and what you're able, or want, to charge per hour. Generally, I'd say that making a profit building dining chairs can be, well, quite challenging. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081