Subject:
Re: I'd laminate them, but...Jesse..questions

Jesse Cloud
Thanks for posting that....That is about the curve I am looking for...How thick were you laminations?
Couple of confessions here: I wasn't looking for a certain thickness, more something that looked good. And after all I said about keeping the lams in sequence, I have 3 lams of about 0.10 inch thick and the two show faces are much nicer commercial veneer at about 0.03 inches. Doing it that way saves big bucks and I forgot that was what I did. The total thickness is about 0.310 or about 5/16. I was surprised that the lams still looked ok on the edge since I used two different types of maple.

I am thinking four at about 1/8". Would it be better to use more that were thinner.
More and thinner are always better, but personally I wouldn't go to 1/2 inch thick.

How long did you leave then in the form?
I left them in overnight, did a pair of splats each glue-up, so three glue-ups.

Beautiful chair. Mine will be more "cubic", with back legs straight.
Thanks.

One more question....What is the seat height? Did you allow for the foam? I guess that's two questions or one compound one.
These chairs are 17 inches high, not including foam (which largely compresses when you sit on it). They have seated guests from 5'3'' to 6'8'" and no one has complained. BTW, for best comfort the seats should be angled at about 3-5 degrees so that the knees are higher than the butt. I do that, but it greatly complicates the joinery.

By the way, there is money to be made in custom height chairs. Most tall and short people have never sat in a comfortable chair. I did a few custom chairs and make a protyping jig that can change seat height, lumbar location, and angle of recline for the back. People loved those chairs and were willing to pay serious money for them.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081