Subject:
Re: how do you make a ladder
Response To:
how do you make a ladder ()

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana
Bill, you didn't specify what type of ladder you are questioning! Several years ago I read an article regarding the Rung style ladders used by Fire departments. The article was written about a new Chief that thought the prices from the current supplier were way too high. So he found an alternate supplier. When the ladders came in all the firemen refused to use them.

Ended up the high cost rung style extension ladders used selected straight grain material for the sides and rungs that were skived from clear wood then turned to dimension. The "cheap" ladders were just sawn and turned. The tests proved that method was too weak to support a fireman and gear when a rescue required a fireman to carry a person down the ladder. I did a search for the terminology used to describe ladder parts etc. and found a lot of information.

One page I found describes a lot of different styles.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=rung+ladder+terminology&tbm=isch&chips=q:step+ladder+parts,g_1:wooden:45F_8QeJm7c%3D&usg=AI4_-kSLz_IalA7XS9zWAnwTRt4H_J4bLw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj26Jrh_6rwAhUqCTQIHff6CAQQgIoDKAB6BAgaEAw&biw=1232&bih=584

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081