Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Interesting joints...
Response To:
Interesting joints... ()

Jack Dover
Japanese carpentry avoids fasteners because they want a bit of freedom in joints since they live in seismically active region. The other reason is temple carpentry, which requests construction methods developed way before fasteners were adopted. AFAIK their modern residential construction codes require fasteners in certain cases, e.g. rafters are screwed down, etc. If I remember it correctly the "Japanese joinery" text book shows many joints where an additional fastener is required by codes.

The Chinese woodworker is Xin Quansheng I believe, and the speed of his work is incredible. One of his students (I assume) was adding English subtitles to his videos and published them on his own channel, so for quite some time people were referring to the master using a student's name. His actual channel has thousands of videos and whenever there was a chance I was asking my Chinese speaking friends for a translation. Some of friends could speak his dialect and I even managed to ask a few simple questions. He started a school after retiring from being a carpenter and a cabinetmaker, so he isn't a professional teacher in a sense. The wood he uses for demonstration is actually not very hard, I looked up some of the names in the Wood Database and they were comparable to our moderate hardwoods. Woods for actual pieces are hard though. What I personally find mind blowing is that his way of working gives an impression of coarse work, but when a piece goes together it's quite fine and delicate, and, of course, the most incredible pieces are chairs and stools with tons of compound angles which he lays out with a square and a simple bevel gauge. I mean there's a ton of mind blowing things in what he does, these are just the ones I could grasp.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081