Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Wood vs Metal
Response To:
Wood vs Metal ()

eliot
I continue to be inspired by your work! Words like elegant and masterful come to mind! It appears from what you say that metal has several advantages for the Moxon, so that's what I'll do. You may have noticed that, along these lines, I had asked the group if there were some kind of formula, or even rule of thumb, to compare the forces between metal and wood screw mechanisms. (I had hoped there may be some engineers around.) But I'm just being lazy because I have that kind of background myself. I am beginning to think (just in my head--no real analysis yet) that for fairly small hand applied torques that a larger diameter wooden screw would actually apply MORE clamping force ( pitch , etc. kept the same) than a smaller diameter screw, regardless of the material; and that the reason why metal does indeed allow one to eventually apply more force is that metal is stronger than wood and just doesn't break apart when a really large torque is applied. I believe the physics simply goes back to my first-year college lectures on the force generated by a weight sliding on an inclined plane: Force along the surface equals gravity force vector resolved perpendicular to the surface multiplied by the coefficient of friction along the surface. Now I just have to find out the coefficients of friction for different woods vs different metals! (LOL).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081