Hand Tools

Subject:
comment on video- not too favorable
Response To:
Electrolysis how-to ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
It is yet another example of someone teaching something they know nothing about.

Anodes are waaay to far from the part. The conditions illustrated will result in very small cleaning currents. This situation is not wrong and in fact can have some advantage in achieving the optimum form of reduced iron at the surface. But I prefer to pour the coal into cleaning which means, close anodes, higher concentration sodium carbonate, and as much current as the charger will put out. Gets the job done in an hour not hours.

There is zero chance of accumulating hydrogen at the ceiling. But good ventilation is advised. The explosive danger is at the surface of the tank.

The formation of chromate by using stainless steel is a myth perpetrated throughout the internet. I have never been able to track down the origin of this misinformation. I have measured electrolysis baths that have used a large sheet of stainless and found no significant amount of ANY chromium compound. There is good chemical reason that chromate can not form under these conditions. But people can feel important/authoritive by warning about hazards even when they are not.

The problem of using iron anodes is they dissolve and accumulate iron gunk in the tank.

What is correct is don't let the solution touch copper at the anode. Doesn't matter at the cathode. it will dissolve, then plate on the iron being cleaned and promote rusting.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081