Hand Tools

Subject:
Chisel guides
Response To:
Re: The real story... ()

Jack Dover

Some people make a jig and rub the back of he chisel along the jig to get a straight cut. I have never done that myself so I'm with you and a flat back is not necessary.

I have tried a jig a few times and it doesn't work for me (not that freehanding works all the time, but still), couldn't even make a dovetail baseline guide to work acceptably. Also I just can't imagine repositioning any sort of a guide very time a cut plane changes on even the simplest joints. It's way easier for me to use a properly sized chisel, e.g. trimming a tenon flat is better with a chisel that's at least half the length of a tenon wide — my 1" and 1 1/2" are rarely dusty.

I used to think that the flat back guides a chisel in a cut, but quickly learned that's not exactly true, and that a guide doesn't guarantee my miters will be dead on. I guess I'm missing something on the jigs front, 'cos there are people that jig pretty much everything (Chris Hall comes to mind and his mind blowing work, also I think Brian Holcombe used jigs), so I chalked it up to my personal limitations.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081