Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Tonewood
Response To:
Tonewood ()

Bruce McCrory
I don't know what your term "tonewood" implies. It sounds like you grab a stick and tap. If that is the case, be aware that even the traditional string instruments come from just a few of the best tone-producing spruce and maple sources. The harmonic tests are well above my pay scale.

Stradivari has a violin, or similar, floating around made from poplar (full body). Since I learned that tulip poplar is 'poplar' and poplar is something else, I'm not sure which his is. But, poplar was not part of my list of tonewoods before then.

The shop I frequented acquired and sold maple and spruce from world stocks. It seems age is a desirable character. I am in the Puget Sound region so they cut native Big Leaf Maple for bass instruments, and cellos. They also had a 140-year-old (160 now) door of yellow pine that was being used for it's intended purpose, and also repairs of bass and cello instruments.

David- I thought you said electrics don't need to be of true tonewood, which seems significant as all you need do is go to HD, or look for pretty wood. I am not sure I would trust the current crop of musical wood peddlers without a tone test that you can verify on your end of the delivery. And, yes, you will pull your teeth, mortgage the kids and get a bloody nose from the financial altitude when you buy true music wood. A booked, blank cello back of BLM started at about a $1000 the last I looked, 20 years now. The tone test drove prices.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081