Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go

David Weaver
Actually, this is hard to appreciate (just how much better bumping up against chipping is vs. bumping up against folding) unless you get to do the same thing I did with the same two chisels.

The chipping edge chisel (we'll call it) is actually far easier to prevent any damage at all, and it lays over material rather than shooting it out everywhere. maple differs, but when there's blunting, it can shoot bits off of something like a half blind at really high speed (enough to damage eyes). But this isn't a safety speech.

If anyone prefers vintage english or ashley iles chisels to something like narex, they prefer a chipping chisel. They just may not know it. If they prefer japanese chisels, they prefer a chipping chisel. But neither defect is the aim - it's just which direction you want to go with the bias.

In straight razors, this becomes more important as only the chipping razors actually take an edge off of a strop. The objective is not to have any chipping, but inevitably with a 16 degree edge, something will happen, and if that can be something that just disappears and doesn't propagate, that's a win. The difference between the types is a razor that's hard to get in shaving shape and get through a shave vs. one that will settle in and shave several hundred with just linen.

I was able to get through the maple shooting shards with the original chisel - the first deflection was worse than the picture I showed, then with some more uni, that's what resulted and then with a solid amount more, the third picture and things were better.

It's not as if you can't do work, but if you are wasting half blinds or cutting mortises, there's a large difference in effort. If you're trimming around the edges of a router cut, then maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference. Just a little.

There's a potential cognitive trap here, by the way. If we're comparing honing a chipped edge to honing off or partially honing partially aligning a deflected edge, it's important to note how often this will be done. The 26c3 chisel will probably need sharpening about 1/5th to 1/10th as often as the deflecting chisel, but it will feel sharper nearly the entire time. The difference in effort and control of the cut is remarkable.

Is this a groundbreaking statement? No - it's just figuring out some details re: why the english chisels are set up the way they are (with such plain steels, even after ball bearing steel became available).

Messages In This Thread

52100 experimentation continues *PIC*
same chisels. *PIC*
Re: same chisels.
The reason for the choice...
Re: The reason for the choice...
Better than O1
relying on the charts...
caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Thanks!
for the non-metal folks..
"through hardening"...
Re: 52100 experimentation continues
These get a trip to the freezer...
Re: These get a trip to the freezer...
if it's like the machine areas...
Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
Re: Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
A stake in the ground is needed
Re: A stake in the ground is needed
There's an absolute property..
optimizing hardness and toughness
Discussion and personal value
now I am confused more
Re: now I am confused more
Re: optimizing hardness and toughness
Thank you for the search results
Testing three chisels..
re-do with one of the (52100) chisels
question
Re: question
26c3 mule...
For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: 26c3 mule...
Re: 26c3 mule...
Pictures
pics... *PIC*
(looking back at those four pictures...
When work pressure lets up some,
It'll look the same...
Re: pics...
Re: pics...
Deflecting vs. letting go
I think that's pretty much it...
I didn't check with a metallurgist..
26c3 pictures vs. ward later...
not that much later...the 26c3 *PIC*
Tempered to 380F? *NM*
Re: Tempered to 380F?
and the ward *PIC*
Request
Sure...
Temper temperature...
too much?
Re: Sure... *PIC*
Re: Sure...
David's knife
Re: David's knife
short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: Sure...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081