Hand Tools

Subject:
pics... *PIC*
Response To:
Pictures ()

David Weaver
..I have fewer pictures than I thought I did, but the second harder 52100 with no edge defects won't look any different than the 52100 with "more unicorn" shown here except maybe a little bit more crisp.

With too little unicorn, 52100 does this, and it seems to propagate relatively quickly. The solution is a lot of buffing or really high hardness (and even then some buffing - it's really tough, really different than the files).

Here's 52100 with more unicorn (you can tell I let the buffer wipe the back of this a bit - it'll work damage free at this point, but it feels less sharp than the files with so much rounding). Is this an issue in hardwoods? Probably not, but I'm pushing to make a chisel that nobody will be able to use next to another one of similar hardness and determine that mine is less crisp and keen feeling:

So, the mid test was the broken parer, because the business end of the stub left is a little bit less hard than the bevel of the parer would have been. This is made of a file, and it does chip little bits out but even at a hardness similar or less than the 52100, it won't hold on to anything.

This is nice - it feels sharper at the start and at the end.

I propose that the issue with the foil is that it can prevent a mock thick edge to the work that you have to get through the work and that if it broke off leaving the chipping behind instead, the edge is thinner.

Here's 26c3. I didn't give it the courtesy of polishing the back further than india stone with a little helper of 220 grit silicon carbide (which I only do because i'm doing initial flattening - I'd prefer the india stone without it, but it's handy for flattening as the stone is flat). The belt sander does a decent job, but it leaves a small amount of rounding.

This is tempered at 380F, and I'm sure since this was the second temper (sharp edge already there), there's a chance that the edge itself got cycled slightly higher. It sharpens easily now on the india stone. It's not soft, but it's not icy feeling - grinds very easily, too - there's nothing in it to resist a grinding wheel. It doesn't hold much of a wire edge off of the washita (at 350F on the first temper, it wouldn't hold any wire edge off of the washita).

Second go around today (didn't get picture) of the edge after finishing it further and no damage. In both cases, there was a lot of chopping before these pictures.

Messages In This Thread

52100 experimentation continues *PIC*
same chisels. *PIC*
Re: same chisels.
The reason for the choice...
Re: The reason for the choice...
Better than O1
relying on the charts...
caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Thanks!
for the non-metal folks..
"through hardening"...
Re: 52100 experimentation continues
These get a trip to the freezer...
Re: These get a trip to the freezer...
if it's like the machine areas...
Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
Re: Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
A stake in the ground is needed
Re: A stake in the ground is needed
There's an absolute property..
optimizing hardness and toughness
Discussion and personal value
now I am confused more
Re: now I am confused more
Re: optimizing hardness and toughness
Thank you for the search results
Testing three chisels..
re-do with one of the (52100) chisels
question
Re: question
26c3 mule...
For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: 26c3 mule...
Re: 26c3 mule...
Pictures
pics... *PIC*
(looking back at those four pictures...
When work pressure lets up some,
It'll look the same...
Re: pics...
Re: pics...
Deflecting vs. letting go
I think that's pretty much it...
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
I didn't check with a metallurgist..
26c3 pictures vs. ward later...
not that much later...the 26c3 *PIC*
Tempered to 380F? *NM*
Re: Tempered to 380F?
and the ward *PIC*
Request
Sure...
Temper temperature...
too much?
Re: Sure... *PIC*
Re: Sure...
David's knife
Re: David's knife
short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: Sure...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081