Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..

David Weaver
1095 sharpens slightly easier at a given hardness. Around what should be 60/61, it sharpens deceptively easy on things like india and arkansas stones, but it also gets to that with a 375-400 temper (maybe even slightly less).

52100 and O1 with a 400F temper seem to be slightly harder.

But if you leave 1095 really hard, it can be slow sharpening (if you tempered 1095 at 325F and 52100 or O1 at 415F or so, the latter would seem like a much more agreeable steel and sharpen more easily - even on waterstones, you'd notice it). The strength of steel (based on hardness) seems to have a pretty strong effect even on something like a friable crystolon stone.

I don't have a particular target - just something that will sharpen on a fresh india stone. At some point, it would be nice to have one struck on a versitron- I made the earlier chisels fairly hard, but I don't think it's necessary. If I had to guess based on the sorby chisels and Ashley Iles chisels, I'd say something very low 60s is good, but it's less about a particular number and more about tying a process to a feel. The draw is there to get a usable chisel at a high hardness if possible because it suggests that tempered back, the result will have a whole lot of margin.

The trouble I ran into with 1095 is that margin just isn't very wide. It gets extremely hard out of the quench, but it has to be tempered back further before it behaves. My practical test is two things, either hard malleting or paring hard and deep with chisel corners - those are usually tough on edges. If there's not much margin, you get chipping and then as you're tempering back you can run into some folding. If the range between those two where neither occurs is wide, then you have a very good chisel.

I want to see a straw color after long tempers - it's kind of the confirmation that the whole chisel got to temp if it's uniformly mid straw. 1095 tempered to that can be a bit soft (maybe if it was water quenched there'd be more headroom), O1 tends to be like halfway between LV and hock, which is the sweet spot for it just in my opinion (and about where english chisels are).The bias at this point for the straw is that I've never tempered anything to straw and had chipping, but I've had a fair amount of stuff tempered 40 degrees cooler that is a bit picky about how its sharpened.

People like to see a high hardness spec in a catalogue and the standardized tests are usually biased to favor a higher hardness, but I think most people will favor "english temper" (probably 60-62) if they're making things.

Messages In This Thread

52100 experimentation continues *PIC*
same chisels. *PIC*
Re: same chisels.
The reason for the choice...
Re: The reason for the choice...
Better than O1
relying on the charts...
caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Thanks!
for the non-metal folks..
"through hardening"...
Re: 52100 experimentation continues
These get a trip to the freezer...
Re: These get a trip to the freezer...
if it's like the machine areas...
Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
Re: Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
A stake in the ground is needed
Re: A stake in the ground is needed
There's an absolute property..
optimizing hardness and toughness
Discussion and personal value
now I am confused more
Re: now I am confused more
Re: optimizing hardness and toughness
Thank you for the search results
Testing three chisels..
re-do with one of the (52100) chisels
question
Re: question
26c3 mule...
For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: 26c3 mule...
Re: 26c3 mule...
Pictures
pics... *PIC*
(looking back at those four pictures...
When work pressure lets up some,
It'll look the same...
Re: pics...
Re: pics...
Deflecting vs. letting go
I think that's pretty much it...
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
I didn't check with a metallurgist..
26c3 pictures vs. ward later...
not that much later...the 26c3 *PIC*
Tempered to 380F? *NM*
Re: Tempered to 380F?
and the ward *PIC*
Request
Sure...
Temper temperature...
too much?
Re: Sure... *PIC*
Re: Sure...
David's knife
Re: David's knife
short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: Sure...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081