Hand Tools

Subject:
for the non-metal folks..
Response To:
Re: same chisels. ()

David Weaver
..wiley, you don't need any of this info, but others might appreciate it.

52100 has a little bit of chromium added as your formula shows and it's generally (from most mills) about a tenth higher in carbon than 1095. The chromium is sort of an older addition for hardenability and it's kind of what it was for more than 100 years now.

The relatively inexpensive stock that I get is made by bohler, and someone (maybe bohler, maybe a middleman finisher) has rolled it into sheets and it looks on the edges like it's been cut (not milled). It seems pretty clean, but the knife guys say it needs more than I give it to be its best.

What the chromium does, though, is bind with some carbon and it doesn't have the same kind of wear resistance that a little bit of vanadium has, and it's not at a level where it starts to affect feel (like it does in A2 and D2). How much of the chromium ends up as chromium carbides, I don't know, but it doesn't affect forgability. For chisels and knives, as much as I used to not believe it, it's an improvement. There's very little grain coarsening, but better hardening for anything other than very thin segments, and the toughness is much better than 1095.

Sometimes it's referred to as a "chromium steel", and that gives the wrong impression about it. Chromium is the additive that makes it more consistent, just like manganese or vanadium or tungsten is added in small amounts to plain steel to pep things up some without changing characteristics much. I guess for the purposes of bearings, there's enough through hardenability and it's a very "strong" steel that doesn't deform much or have toughness issues like some more plain steels can.

On the flip side, it rusts fast and it can decarb if it's left in a high heat environment (so can 1095 and white steel), it doesn't have a lot of wear resistance for people into high carbide steels (but plenty for woodworking with hand tools), it doesn't have any high speed heat resistance (not surprise) .. I guess that's about it.

What it does have is toughness similar to 3V and sharpenability like older steels on a range of stones (and wonderfully uniform wear).

But the name chromium steel like is sometimes attached to it is more a cue for the forger, and not for the perception of a user. Nobody would notice that it has chromium - you could just tell them it was a really tough sample of 1095.

Messages In This Thread

52100 experimentation continues *PIC*
same chisels. *PIC*
Re: same chisels.
The reason for the choice...
Re: The reason for the choice...
Better than O1
relying on the charts...
caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Thanks!
for the non-metal folks..
"through hardening"...
Re: 52100 experimentation continues
These get a trip to the freezer...
Re: These get a trip to the freezer...
if it's like the machine areas...
Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
Re: Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
A stake in the ground is needed
Re: A stake in the ground is needed
There's an absolute property..
optimizing hardness and toughness
Discussion and personal value
now I am confused more
Re: now I am confused more
Re: optimizing hardness and toughness
Thank you for the search results
Testing three chisels..
re-do with one of the (52100) chisels
question
Re: question
26c3 mule...
For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: 26c3 mule...
Re: 26c3 mule...
Pictures
pics... *PIC*
(looking back at those four pictures...
When work pressure lets up some,
It'll look the same...
Re: pics...
Re: pics...
Deflecting vs. letting go
I think that's pretty much it...
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
I didn't check with a metallurgist..
26c3 pictures vs. ward later...
not that much later...the 26c3 *PIC*
Tempered to 380F? *NM*
Re: Tempered to 380F?
and the ward *PIC*
Request
Sure...
Temper temperature...
too much?
Re: Sure... *PIC*
Re: Sure...
David's knife
Re: David's knife
short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: Sure...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081