Hand Tools

Subject:
The reason for the choice...
Response To:
Re: same chisels. ()

David Weaver
..other than not just defaulting to O1, which I can do well (even the miscues heat treating have made good irons. I've got one that didn't get hot enough and ended up around where I'd want it after temper - so it didn't get converted all from pearlite to austenite - it's still a good iron and I never tempered it.)..

...at any rate, the forgeability of 52100 and its toughness at a good range of hardnesses without giving up strength or hardness potential, it's not expensive (that's not that important, though), and the low abrasion resistance for finishing and for sharpenability at a level of performance).

By charts, it's a bit better than O1 - does it matter? I don't know. By that, I mean it will have double or more the standardized toughness at a given hardness vs. O1, the same wear resistance, but it will feel like 1095 or similar when sharpening (but O1 is also very pleasant to sharpen around 60/61 hardness).

It's as good of a choice or edge strength as files, but with no more guessing and combing listings.

Struggling a little with the aesthetics, though - putting big crisp bevels on the chisels does make them look a little bit more modern than I'd prefer and it erases the eccentric curve look a little at the tang.

I guess more or less for the steel, it's what I wish 1095 was. A little better hardenability, better toughness, probably more stable in the quench (though anyone making A2 would probably think it's terribly behaved) and because I'm not doing much more than, shaping, temp cycling and quench and temper, I'm not running into the myriad of issues knife guys talk about troubling with (it can crack easily if forged heavily outside of its range, and have issues with things like carbide coarsening, though it's a very fine grained steel and I can't see that being that big of a problem).

Thanks for the nice comments, by the way. It's all just a journey of screwing around. If it never would even get to usable tools, I'd be frustrated, but it's no big deal. There are just a couple of little things that make it really attainable without much tooling and some of the specialty stuff I've bought (a larger stainless two burner forge), I'm not using - it's not needed. The high speed ceramic belt and a contact wheel is just really wonderful, though - like what a good shop knife is for a woodworker.

These are steve V's chisels, and he will put crackingly wonderful handles on them - I think the aesthetics are just not quite up to it, but ..we'll see. Maybe his handles will bail them out a little.

Messages In This Thread

52100 experimentation continues *PIC*
same chisels. *PIC*
Re: same chisels.
The reason for the choice...
Re: The reason for the choice...
Better than O1
relying on the charts...
caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Re: caveat on my sharpening perceptions..
Thanks!
for the non-metal folks..
"through hardening"...
Re: 52100 experimentation continues
These get a trip to the freezer...
Re: These get a trip to the freezer...
if it's like the machine areas...
Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
Re: Maybe toughness *isn't* .....
A stake in the ground is needed
Re: A stake in the ground is needed
There's an absolute property..
optimizing hardness and toughness
Discussion and personal value
now I am confused more
Re: now I am confused more
Re: optimizing hardness and toughness
Thank you for the search results
Testing three chisels..
re-do with one of the (52100) chisels
question
Re: question
26c3 mule...
For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: For those like me unfamiliar with 26c3
Re: 26c3 mule...
Re: 26c3 mule...
Pictures
pics... *PIC*
(looking back at those four pictures...
When work pressure lets up some,
It'll look the same...
Re: pics...
Re: pics...
Deflecting vs. letting go
I think that's pretty much it...
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
Re: Deflecting vs. letting go
I didn't check with a metallurgist..
26c3 pictures vs. ward later...
not that much later...the 26c3 *PIC*
Tempered to 380F? *NM*
Re: Tempered to 380F?
and the ward *PIC*
Request
Sure...
Temper temperature...
too much?
Re: Sure... *PIC*
Re: Sure...
David's knife
Re: David's knife
short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: short follow up thought....
Re: Sure...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081