Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Suggestion
Response To:
Suggestion ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Some years ago I moved my shop to a new house. It took more than a year to readily find where I had chosen to store the XXX in its new home. You are going to need a map to locate what drawer something is in :)

As I think about what I often use to make stuff that needs to be easily retrieved a compass, marking knives and pencils come to mind. Do these items have a home in your chest?

When all is tucked away it would be useful to provide a summary in the form of a one pictures summary of what is in each drawer. I no longer remember what was in drawer 2.

Bill ...

Part of the attraction to this cabinet is that adventure in finding tools. :) Not really ... the drawers are organised in a fairly logical order, and it will not take long to find the desired one.

There is a drawer for many items, but not all. Some will continue to live on the wall ... knives and pencils, for example, since I want to reach and grab one quickly.

One of the reasons for building this cabinet was to reduced the clutter on the wall. Originally, the tools-on-the-wall idea was developed as a way to have everything close to hand. However, as the numbers multiplied (yeah, I have no idea how this happened), the wall became overly busy and a distraction. The tool trays were intended to be used for tools-currently-being-used, but became a storage for the overflow.

These tool trays were built against the wall to get them out of the way ...

Here they are filled to the brim ...

A recent photo, before the tools have been transferred ...

The aim is to reduce the clutter, and keep the trays free for working tools. Also, this gives me a chance to thin the herd, to decide what I will keep, and what to pass on. As I mentioned earlier, I shall retire in about 3 years, and downsize the house. We have another house, with a yet-to-be-built shop. So I am thinking ahead to the move, and what will go with me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081