Hand Tools

Subject:
agree on the polished..

David Weaver
..especially if the polish is by a buff. There was much criticism of the original two cherries type, which look to me to be made pretty cheaply (they look like a two die forge, minimal machining and then a really heavy buff), though I'm sure the markup after manufacture is large, so if they don't look like a $35 chisel to me or whatever, the manufacturer is probably getting half of that.

The one picture of these makes for an illusion of reflectivity, but it's only raking. It looks more like a 400 grit finish aided by a dull belt (the belt is 120 grit, but spent).

crisp lines that are anything but straight make for lots more work, I guess. George Wilson showed a highly polished surgical/bone knife at one point that still had crisp lines and I remember him talking about how much effort it took to grind and polish it - it was so perfectly made that it almost looked artificial in the picture. I will not ever be doing work that level on chisels! :) :)

But I'm not down with rounded over lines on tools (except for the buffed tip that is).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081