Hand Tools

Subject:
Chisels - aesthetic dilemma *PIC*

David Weaver
What I really liked was making the chisels and filing the bevels, but they really need to be cut after hardening and I harden the chisels almost to the tang, so that's now out.

I think the filed lines looked better - things could really be managed vs grinding freehand on a very high speed belt.

So, the typical removal belt is 36 grit ceramic, which is orders of magnitude coarser than what you may normally use on a belt sander - it's piles of tiny particles that's called 36 grit, but it's like a matrix of those piles and far faster cutting and coarser than a 36 grit al-ox belt. IT slows down as the particles come off...anyway, it leaves a reasonably fine finish compared to a lot of fast made chisels cut by rotary machines, but it won't be confused with the oxide and oil scale that I like leaving on the chisels.

So, the next move is between intentionally grinding/finishing the bevels with a worn 120 grit belt, which doesn't look mirror straight on, but in raking view, it's pretty fine.

Thoughts?

I have no interest in glazing the tang and the bolsters, but maybe in the future. These are all forge welded just like the last set. All heller file stock, but the spicy white is in the house, so I'll do that next.

I kind of like the grind with the oxide left at the tang. Bits of bright metal are from fixing incidental contact with the belt when grinding the bevels :|

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081