Hand Tools

Subject:
wax in a cut
Response To:
missed this.... ()

Jack Dover

I don't think much of the wax would make it into a cut.

I was thinking about this and did a few simple experiments using a saw with zero set. Most of wax stays outside actually. All the wax that goes into a cut seems to accumulate in the first 1/8" (or less) of a cut surface and that area looks like a triangle upside down. Depending on how long was the cut this triangle can go all the way to the bottom or cease mid-way. This area definitely won't glue up properly, however there's still enough glue surface for a joint to hold. Obviously a fully glued surface is going to be stronger and I didn't do specific measures to find the difference in strength. I just left it glued overnight and tried to bang it apart with a mallet. It was plenty strong and glue lines didn't look too different, most fibers didn't separate.

Did it because my saw plates are waxed when put back into a till. I was worried that wiping it with just a rag might leave too much wax. After experimenting I just do a few cuts in a scrap first, because all that wax or oil absorbs dirt and looks awful.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081