Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: You provided a good example of peril

Sgian Dubh
Bill, I have just one dovetail saw that I now use exclusively for dovetails, and that's an Independence saw, which was the pattern taken over by Lie-Nielsen. I do actually have another saw sold as a dovetail saw somewhere, I think, although it may be lost or I've simply forgotten where I last stashed it. It was/is a Spear and Jackson that I used to use for dovetails but stopped because the teeth weren't ideal being cross-cut sharpened rather than rip pattern.

But, turning back to the Independence dovetail saw, I've used it on quite a number of different wood species ranging through thick (20 mm and thicker) to thin (10 mm or less) including oak, maple, poplar, sycamore, beech, pine, fir, yew, and so on, and once I'd got the knack of using it I've found it happily tackles all the dovetailing tasks I've asked of it. In every case, the knack seems to be to start the cut very gently, i.e., as you describe, sort of holding the saw to barely scuff the wood surface with the teeth for a stroke or two, after which I find it cuts very quickly. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081