Hand Tools

Subject:
You provided a good example of peril

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I found that that 15 ppi IT started fairly smoothly in all woods, hard and soft.

Your evaluations invariably employ wood that most of us have no experience with nor ever will. It becomes hard to put your results in the context of the wood I am going to be using.

To be relevant to North American woodworking, and probably Europe given the amount of hardwood we export there, I would like to see evaluations on wood that is widely used. Considering a traditional chest of drawers the most of the dovetail cutting will be drawer sides and backs, the next most on the case and the least on drawer fronts.

Drawer sides are going to be poplar, a southern pine or occasionally soft maple. Cases are going to be walnut, cherry, mahogany or occasionally hard maple, and the same for drawer fronts. All but hard maple is going to cut about the same.

A first saw in North America should typically be something that cuts poplar well. It will be good enough on everything else except maybe maple. My LN saw required some getting used to for doing drawers in poplar. I had to learn to take weight off it to start it in a cut. It in fact has less set than the LV saw I have. But as previously described, it was superior for the hard ash, illustrating how important it is to buy a saw for the wood that will be used the most which won't be anything you used in your report.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081