Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Perils of giving or receiving advice

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
The handle on my LN dovetail saw is a smidgen too small for my hand, not enough to be uncomfortable, but enough to be noticeable. I think new LN handles might be just a smidgen larger, to more effectively cover that end of the bell curve.

I don't have a Veritas DT saw, but I do have one of their crosscut tenon saws. The injection molded back has too many curves where I think it should have more straight lines and planes. It makes it a bit more difficult to aim it accurately.

William, I have several dovetail saws. Some purchased new, some vintage and restored, and some I built. The handles vary slightly, but I can say that the LN (purchased about 15+ years ago) has one of the larger (= thicker) handles. By contrast, the Independence Tools dovetail saw, upon which it is based, has a relatively slim handle. The Veritas dovetail saws (14 and 20 ppi) are very similar to the LN. For reference, I have a large-ish hand, with 4” across the palm.

For those interested, I wrote a review of the Veritas 20 ppi, comparing it to these saws, in 2009 ....

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/TheVeritas20ppiDovetailSaw.html

Looking at the aiming issue, I do not use the brass or composite section in this regard. In fact, I ignore them, instead watching the teeth and the angle of the plate. I suspect that watching the back and the teeth at the same time is likely to make you go cross-eyed :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081