Hand Tools

Subject:
Perils of giving or receiving advice *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
It was decided (by its owner) to add a pencil drawer to the desk I am building for granddaughter. It was decided by the builder to make it out of ash I harvested from the farm. These ash have all been killed by the ash borers. Bugs drill holes in these dead ash about 3 minutes after they die so all the lumber from these trees has worm holes. In spite of the defective lumber I wanted to add a bit of the farm to the desk. So why am I posting about this part of the project, and here?

The desk has 8 other drawers, all made as I usually do from thin poplar. I began making traditional drawers some years ago with a LN saw. As an experiment I tried a LV saw and liked the way it performed on this material. Again as an experiment, I tried the finer tooth LV saw and liked it even better for sawing the dovetails on the thin poplar sides.

As a result of this journey I now have 3 dovetail saws, with the LN saw never used any more.

With the experience of making 8 drawers from poplar with the fine tooth LV saw fresh in my mind I began preparing the ash drawers. The fine tooth LV saw bounced ineffectively across the ends of the hard ash drawer sides. The coarser tooth LV saw did better. The LN saw cut best. But the handle!

I was not smitten by the unconventional look of the LV saw when I bought the first one. After making dozens of drawers with the LV saws I no longer pay any attention to the handle. Today I began using the LN saw after a pause of several years. The handle felt foreign and uncomfortable.

So where does this all come out? Apparently what saw saws best depends on what you are sawing. Apparently what saw has the best ergonomics depends on what you get used to.

What's this all have to do with advice? Best to offer it and receive it with context.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081