Hand Tools

Subject:
bigger pictures...
Response To:
confusion ()

David Weaver
the ones in the article are scaled and it can be hard to see what's on them.

Here's the V11 picture (far right unicorned):
https://i.imgur.com/HlsFrD4.jpg

Japanese:
https://i.imgur.com/FLXn5vU.jpg

Note that I unicorned the V11 first and it failed worse than this, but I re-ran the test because I realized that it abrades about half as fast as white steel. So the second test, I buffed it about twice as long so that the "uni-stripe" at the end was similar in size to other chisels in the test (both size and shape).

The picture is from the second more favorable test. I was tempted to try to find a way to accommodate the edge, but that wouldn't have been honest for test purposes.

This is just a personal choice thing, but I was so annoyed with the chisel given that it didn't give superior results, but it grinds with almost no spark and heats more easily, so you have to do everything slow with it - as well as the issue of the bevel being cut flush with the back. I'm too traditional for that, I guess.

The cost for the 1 inch chisel was something like $113 with tax and shipping. The japanese chisels were $310 for 12 of them (I bought them used, but unused on yahoo japan) and the AI chisels were $180 with shipping for a set of 6 from England (much cheaper at the time to just order them ex vat than to order them in country here, plus they were in stock overseas but not here in a full set). I was just overall very nonplussed with the V11 chisel - it's neatly made and nicely prevented, but ended up unexpectedly being the cadillac allante of the group.

it wasn't until later reading larrin's charts that I gathered why it shouldn't be a surprise in a chisel - it did, however, have a very slick feel through the wood (which I'm guessing is the effect of chromium - it also has the same apparent ease through wood in planes when you plane with the cap set with it and then with something else - if there were a machine to test pushing the plane, it would come up easier to push. Perhaps it's only 5% or something, but when you take 10k strokes with a plane you can feel it, and when you count strokes chiseling, you can see that it was easier through wood when damaged than the others were).

The same chisel in O1 instead bumped to 62 hardness would make a lot more sense to me.

Larrin doesn't like XHP. I think it makes a nice plane iron and a really great kitchen knife. I don't know that I'd say larrin doesn't like it, he just made a comment along the lines for knives like: i guess it's good, if someone can just figure out where to use its properties. (it's not that corrosion resistant, compared to the nutball steels at the top end of larrin's charts, it's not that abrasion resistant, and it's not that tough..

....but it just makes a wonderful slicing knife, anyway. don't care about the charts. )

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081