Hand Tools

Subject:
we're not necessarily bending

David Weaver
I don't know how much is bending and how much is compressive.

for the purposes of discussions about tools, though, to refer to it as strength in general is fine - an explanation of why a tool that's less tough will hold up better in use.

In this case, the word toughness is often used as a desirable quality for chisels, but an experienced user is probably not going to care too much about it as the japanese chisels have lower toughness than even XHP, but they hold up much better in actual use.

Is it meaningful? for most people, that difference between V11 and japanese, maybe not - they'll do enough to damage anything. To me, it's meaningful. I have been looking at toughness charts thinking that low toughness will mean an edge that will chip in planing or chiseling, but noticing at the same time, what I see isn't matching the toughness charts. The ward or mathieson irons in my try planes probably don't fare that well on toughness charts, but they are the last to chip on same wood if the wood has something that will cause chipping. By far.

Even that can lead back to geometric manipulation, though - the iron that I ceased silica denting on was a $2.99 home depot iron.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081