Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: you have invented a steel porperty

Wiley Horne
What I gather....

I don’t think David is talking about a bulk property of steel, that we reference in structural applications like steel-frame buildings, cambered beams, cantilever, and so on.

I think he is describing a property at the grain-size level. He is looking for a steel/heat-treat combination that is 61-62 hardness, but that fails by wear (rather than microchipping) when subjected to normal chisel-chopping tasks like making half—blind dovetails.

I see it the way you did originally, Bill. Namely, that David is looking for an optimum tradeoff between the properties of hardness and toughness—except that his toughness is not a gross measure like a notch test. His toughness is operating at the grain-level, and he observes it at 100X (or so) through a microscope.

David is saying that V11 microchips in his testing and observation. That set him looking for the cleanest of the lightly alloyed steels that will not microchip at 61-62 when dovetailing.

In short, David has not invented a new property of steel. He has invented his own test, and is using this test to find a 61-62 hardness steel that dulls by wear rather than microchipping.

Wiley

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081