Hand Tools

Subject:
the steep arise..

David Weaver
that's the bit that remains there (or worse) on a cap iron that is just cut at a flat angle.

When I did my original testing, I hated a large flat facet. Nobody probably believed it at the time in regard to effort and tearout control, but I was also looking for lazy - taking more wood off at a time and with less damage, both. No clue how this translates for someone who does 3 miles of 2 thousandth shavings a year and nothing else.

When you mentioned the birth canal yesterday, I never considered that there may also be extra work from shoving the chip into the wear, too - as probably with you, if I'm not fixing metal bits (fixing geometry), my first step when there are feeding problems (other than looking for just plain out irregularities that shouldn't be there), open the wear a little one way or another - it's usually just a little.

The try plane that this iron was in, I opened an eighth before kind of guessing a little different - lucky to learn it once in one plane. It got worse and not better at first, and then the angle solved it.

Which leads to another thing - at one point, I made a purpleheart smoother and blocked the mouth on purpose with the wear more typical inside the plane but vertical in the plug or even falling away a little. The iron that someone sent me was berg, and it chipped easily, so I forgot about it. The public wouldn't have the stomach for a plane that had an intentional plug to be replaced from time to time, but I liked it. Listed it on ebay due to the crappy berg iron, and then offered when someone finally bought it (when you say something is chippy, it certainly drives buyers away!) to temper the iron or reharden and retemper if needed (figuring the buyer would be afraid to have some unknown hack monkey with a plane they already paid for). The buyer accepted the offer, I tempered it back to light straw and it was fabulous. :(

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081