Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Comparing David's Cap Irons

Steve Voigt
Dave--
You should definitely modify that Butcher--in fact I think I suggested it a while back. But I disagree about the problem.
Looking at the pics (both yours and Steve E.'s diagram), what I see is that the large flattish area (that you said is 26°) gets steeper about 1/8" above the edge. That portion looks to be around 35°. Presumably there is a still steeper portion around 50° at the very tip, maybe the last .020" or so. But it's the 35-ish section, in my judgment, that is the problem. Once the shaving clears the tip, it's being forced through a birth canal with parallel walls for an eighth, which is enough to cause resistance.
If I were doing this, I'd reference off that 26° section and file or grind it 'til it meets the bottom steepest bevel, somewhere between 1/64 and 1/32 from the edge.
By the way, if I've diagnosed this correctly, it's the exact same issue that usually causes clogging in molding and rabbet planes. It's really easy (or was for me when I was learning) to make the wear too shallow. If you have a 50° bed and a 49° wear, even if the wear is only 1/8 tall, the plane will clog. And opening the mouth won't fix it until the mouth gets obscenely large. No, the solution is the same as for a double iron--steepen the wear until you have diverging angles.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081