Hand Tools

Subject:
Success with a making a shallow ura *PIC*

Winston
I ordered some 120 grit "Aggressive buffing compound" from McMaster-Carr. The abrasive size is 120 microns -- much bigger than the 5 micron stuff I was using earlier. It came in a giant 3 lb sausage-shaped tube. I really only wanted a couple ounces of the stuff, but this is what I got.

This time I used it on a Dremel, with a 1-inch diameter felt wheel. It threw off some sparks when it contacted the metal.

Not the prettiest result, but it actually worked. I then worked the back of the blade on a Shapton Pro 12000, and this is what it looked like:

Only the edges contacted the stone, which is exactly what I wanted.

I probably used the Dremel on the blade for around 5 minutes. I first used with a 0.5 inch felt wheel, and it was way, way less effective than the 1 inch wheel. I think it loaded up and got hot a lot faster than the 1" wheel. I'd bet that a larger wheel would work even better.

One more thing I should mention: It's probably not a good idea to do this for bevel-up planes in general, since it'll reduce the contact area with the bed. This blade is actually for a (bevel-up) block plane, but I only used it for testing to see if this would work -- I gave away the plane a while ago.

If anyone else decides to try this, I'd like to hear how it works out!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081