Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Question
Response To:
Question ()

David Weaver
If a board is flat, it will not take an equal thickness shaving on the first pass. It'll take full thickness at the end of the board and at the beginning. After a few passes, it'll take an equal thickness pass on edges. On board faces, it becomes more of a pain because there's lateral parts that are still flat as you're trimming edges off so you have to go across the board trimming edges off. If your jointer isn't convex and you've planed boards slightly hollow with it as part of dimensioning, the problem is magnified.

I literally put a .015" feeler under this plane - it's a tiny amount. A fraction of a sheet of paper which is what makes it annoying that such a small amount in one direction can cause problems and a larger amount in the other doesn't.

I think most people who buy LN planes joint their boards on a power jointer. So do most people buying vintage stanley planes for that matter.

If someone is buying a plane like this to use in a shooting board, I can't think that they'd care too much about the concavity. LN is making planes to a very fine spec - if some of them are less good to use than others right out of the box, that's life - it's still a factory made tool made to a high standard that nobody else seems to be able to compete with (stanley types). Clifton couldn't come close and some of their planes were several times more hollow than this.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081