Hand Tools

Subject:
I agree without reservation, with some questions

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
With the required planing skill, and plane, I acknowledge that it is easy to prepare perfect mating joints, so why not? No argument from me on this point.

With a power jointer it is hit and miss getting near perfect joint, so you soon learn what is good enough and it is a damn site worse than what you strive for.

The issue unsettled is the person that buys a LN plane within the LN specification but not yours. What is their situation? Can they prepare good enough joints? Should these buyers test flatness upon arrival, somehow? Should someone that has never flattened a plane before attempt to flatten their new $200 plane if it is out 0.0016"? Does LN deliver planes that are unsuitable if your are unlucky? These are the questions the onlookers may be interested in.

Some experience. When the "you- need- to have- a- dead flat- plane- bottom" movement swept through our club the participants all wound up with severely convex plane bottoms, me included. Some of us took a trip to the machine shop for rescue. The experience left a lasting memory.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081