Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Oh, and the other board
Response To:
Oh, and the other board ()

David Weaver
bingo - the effective part of this plane that was actually inside that hollow amount was about a foot. So the 1.5 thousandth becomes 3 on one board, 6 on two.

I've done this exact scenario before. It's not possible to get a good joint. You might be able to get one that you can force together, but this is an ideal and most people have a habit (before they're experienced with planing) of planing the ends off of a board further.

I had an 8 that was somewhere around 1.5 to 2 thou hollow, it was an LN. I couldn't get it to make a decent joint that could be closed by hand at the ends.

That was a less severe issue at that vs. this plane (which was slightly less hollow but over a much shorter distance.

If the error is in the other direction, we can plane a flat board with the plane easily.

As far as Bill's mention of machining a plane, I'm guessing a surface grinder puts much more force on the plane than we will do. When I pushed forward against a scale with an infill, I saw downforce of plane weight plus 4-15 pounds or so. This was a static trial, it might be somewhat different in motion. It's just not enough weight to overcome the hollow. I've been there - and I tried to solve the issue by leaning on the plane (I wanted to love the LN 8, at the time that I got it, it was regarded to be the ultimate. 10 pounds of thick bladed magic. It had shortcomings other than that compared to the 7 -backlash, which is no big deal,but it was there and not there on other LN planes. I'm supposing the adjuster used on the 8 was made for a 7's blade thickness and that at the time, LN didn't make a separate yoke and stub for the 8.

The 7 was made so perfectly that it was ultimately sticky feeling in heavy work - it was so smooth, but you cannot overcome that kind of friction and despite the smooth commanding feeling in work, it was clear that it prevented me from getting as much work done vs. a less accurate and lighter millers falls 22 (that's now long gone, also, but it was a fun plane).

point being with all of this - sometimes a little matters, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on what way it goes. As far as complicating things, I must've had 10 or a dozen LN planes and only two were like this - the others were dead flat or unnoticeable. This one clipped the last half inch off of the cocobolo test piece in the video above - trouble from the start. After flattening it, with thin shavings, it will lay down a perfectly dead straight joint. This is the essence of making things good for hand toolers.

For someone without my experience, the practical solution is to get a stanley plane. Try it. If it doesn't work easily, sell it and get another one. I don't have to do anything to all of them, just some.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081