Hand Tools

Subject:
I risk offending a lot of people...
Response To:
Where I am going.... ()

David Weaver
...when we get into this stuff, so I generally avoid it. If I say that I normally flatten/thickness to a mark (without calipers or overly thin shavings) somewhere in the range of half a hundredth (which is true), it's meaningless. If someone has a more accurate thickness planer, they'll wonder if that's OK. If they have a less accurate thickness planer, then they'll think that sounds fiddly.

I like david charlesworth. I doubt he appreciates me that much after some of the discussions about plane design and planing, but that's something you have to live with if you're going to try your best to make the accuracy of the discussion the top priority.

I think about this fairly often - I don't talk about BU planes much (usually) because they're inferior for anyone other than beginners and very occasional users (and probably for the latter, too). I haven't commented much on the COE discussion because all I can really tell you is that it doesn't pan out with experience, and since I deal with likelihood for a living, the part at the end of "perhaps everyone has had it wrong" hits the bone of being less likely than getting struck by lightning - for the same reason the double iron is clearly superior. There was economic interest in having the best design, both for the user and the seller. Uniformity occurred at some point once plane technology matured because in a sea of enormous numbers of makers and users, nobody could better what was available.

The draw (come up with a great design without learning about design -not talking about planes here, but in a more general sense. Design a new car without knowing how to design cars (brickman)). Those things just don't work out often. Seldom enough as to not be material.

Sometimes, truths that aren't causal are used as explanation for why. The LV and LN BU plane types weren't made in great numbers in the past because the gray cast didn't hold up. That sounds great. It's not true - there was no economic interest in the planes because they wouldn't appeal to an experienced user. Stanley made malleable iron tools during part of the time that they made the 62 and had there been enough interest, I'm sure they would've made them.

The toothed irons are offered now to work difficult woods. They work slower than just using the cap iron. Stanley offered them, too. They're rarely seen because there was no real economic interest in them.

What's far more likely that one has to be wary of (with anything) is finding with more experience that you'll be able to understand why things were made the way they were. Once in a great while, it's because a technique is antiquated or no longer relevant (we don't get tobacco enemas, etc), but quite often, learning why would teach us more than supposing that people may not have known what they were doing.

I can no longer get swept up in worrying about whether someone gets offended unless i'm just supposing something without credible experience (I try not to do that). I'm still fond of David C and appreciative that the first edge I ever sharpened was a good one, but not as swept up in feeling like i'm obligated to persuade him to like me just because I like him.

Messages In This Thread

Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
finger pressure...
Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Ruler trick
in plane iron testing, I found two options..
Re: in plane iron testing, I found two options..
testing high angles..
side comment about planing in general..
I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Patience ...
I re-read the articles on COE
High benches and low benches
Re: High benches and low benches
This isn't a snarky response, by the way
Others who do ..
Re: Others who do ..
Where I am going....
by the way...
I risk offending a lot of people...
on the last bit...
One other case for effort...
Something precise.
Re: Initially flat
Rotary tool?
Re: Rotary tool?
Some context
Re: Some context
Re: Some context
A failed attempt *PIC*
Re: A failed attempt
Re: A failed attempt
this is a lie nielsen iron?
Stanley iron
Re: Stanley iron
That pretty much covers it...
Success with applying extra pressure near the edge *PIC*
Directed pressure and progressive work
Re: Success with applying extra pressure near the
Wear bevel *PIC*
Visual difference at the back edge of..
Re: Visual difference at the back edge of..
Sorry, I should've been more precise...
Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade *PIC*
Re: Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081