Hand Tools

Subject:
by the way...
Response To:
Where I am going.... ()

David Weaver
..I can guarantee you that none of those folks that you showed would be able to work small pieces more accurately than I can, and most of them, probably not as accurately. I'd bet money that I can match konrad, but I've read posts on his blogs and the way he works when truing infill blanks is the same way I do. You use a plane you know ,and when you get close to a mark, you literally know by count how many thousandths 2, 3 or 5 shavings will take so that you can get close to the target quickly and then carefully do the last shavings.

I have one more handicap that konrad may not - I do my metal work by hand, so when I fit a blank, the front and back will need to be within about a thousandth to avoid a visual gap anywhere in the plane between metal and wood, but the front and back of one of my billets may be different in target width by a hundredth. I have to hit the target at both ends, and squareness can't be threatened, either (especially bottom narrower than the top) or the gap will show up in the bottom of the infill while the top is fit tight.

Despite all of that, what I advocate will be easier for a beginner pretty quickly vs. building the bad habits shown in those pictures. It's having the confidence to realize that you can try something, analyze what your personal biases is and then fix them rather than trying to create artificial or exhausting stances and getting ridgid like those pictures show. It leads people to migrate to using machines for more instead, and sometimes that's costly where it doesn't have to be, and sometimes it's detrimental (someone working entirely by hand will probably ruin stock or blow past a mark about 1/10th as often - you see it coming. If you are working relaxed and in rhythm as I do, then you free yourself from having to think about technique while you're working and you can observe the results that are occurring). Most instructors want beginners to get first time success, teaching method rather than results and approximate method. It's a bad way to go about things, but if you expect most of your students will never go much further than early classes or they'll move on to make rocking chairs with CNC machines and power sanders, and everything will be rounded off, maybe it doesn't matter there, either. It's a death knell for someone who wants to get better with hand tools, though.

Messages In This Thread

Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
finger pressure...
Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Ruler trick
in plane iron testing, I found two options..
Re: in plane iron testing, I found two options..
testing high angles..
side comment about planing in general..
I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Patience ...
I re-read the articles on COE
High benches and low benches
Re: High benches and low benches
This isn't a snarky response, by the way
Others who do ..
Re: Others who do ..
Where I am going....
by the way...
I risk offending a lot of people...
on the last bit...
One other case for effort...
Something precise.
Re: Initially flat
Rotary tool?
Re: Rotary tool?
Some context
Re: Some context
Re: Some context
A failed attempt *PIC*
Re: A failed attempt
Re: A failed attempt
this is a lie nielsen iron?
Stanley iron
Re: Stanley iron
That pretty much covers it...
Success with applying extra pressure near the edge *PIC*
Directed pressure and progressive work
Re: Success with applying extra pressure near the
Wear bevel *PIC*
Visual difference at the back edge of..
Re: Visual difference at the back edge of..
Sorry, I should've been more precise...
Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade *PIC*
Re: Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081