Hand Tools

Subject:
Where I am going....
Response To:
Re: Others who do .. ()

David Weaver
..the need for david and others to try to plane small pieces like that is because they cannot do it any other way accurately.

The trouble with things like sawing (something else that david can't do accurately, or at least as he describes that being the issue in his dovetail video) and planing is that if you don't have the experience doing the rougher work efficiently and accurately, you have to resort to things like you're talking about. Squatting down, getting really rigid.

I do the same thing konrad does with infills (albeit probably 1/100th or fewer as many). I do not squat down, and my standard of accuracy for an infill blank vs. a fitted gauge is one thousandth of an inch.

What's not being communicated here is that just because a bunch of people do things inefficiently now doesn't make the poorer technique and lack of experience the goal.

My technique on small pieces is no different except that I don't need to take a step. If I recall, david walks with the plane, but stays rigid on long boards. This is not good, but you do what you have to do. The more efficient thing to do is to get in a more relaxed position, learn where your errors may be, learn to see them more acutely with experience (so that you don't have to constantly check with a square until the last passes), and correct them.

The collection of all of these little problems is what leads people to not use hand tools. They are important to me because my approach isn't to just get a result, it's to get a result the best way possible and in a way that's comfortable. Comfort and efficiency lead to better results overall - even if hypothetically, but will work as well, only one will be tolerable and accurate for very long.

My point is that if someone is looking to hit a glass ceiling quickly, they can go with those instructors. If the ultimate goal is not to plane much, then it's not much of a glass ceiling. If one is looking to actually talk about the ergonomics of planes and efficiency, those guys are out. I have used both types of planes in context, and the low angle planes take a lot of feel and touch away from a user. I just tuned up the 62 after flattening it and i'm reminded pretty quickly of the assortment of issues that BU planes have. The feel is bad, the adjustment mechanism is bad (depth setting and lateral are both problematic), and there's no cap iron. I think with the right teacher, bettering them would occur with a new student in a matter of weeks.

I can't give any credibility to your planing mechanics thoughts and desire to change the designs of planes because they just won't come close to equaling more classical designs. The argument is attractive, but the more experience someone gets, the less attractive it will become.

Messages In This Thread

Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
finger pressure...
Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Ruler trick
in plane iron testing, I found two options..
Re: in plane iron testing, I found two options..
testing high angles..
side comment about planing in general..
I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Patience ...
I re-read the articles on COE
High benches and low benches
Re: High benches and low benches
This isn't a snarky response, by the way
Others who do ..
Re: Others who do ..
Where I am going....
by the way...
I risk offending a lot of people...
on the last bit...
One other case for effort...
Something precise.
Re: Initially flat
Rotary tool?
Re: Rotary tool?
Some context
Re: Some context
Re: Some context
A failed attempt *PIC*
Re: A failed attempt
Re: A failed attempt
this is a lie nielsen iron?
Stanley iron
Re: Stanley iron
That pretty much covers it...
Success with applying extra pressure near the edge *PIC*
Directed pressure and progressive work
Re: Success with applying extra pressure near the
Wear bevel *PIC*
Visual difference at the back edge of..
Re: Visual difference at the back edge of..
Sorry, I should've been more precise...
Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade *PIC*
Re: Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081