Hand Tools

Subject:
Success with applying extra pressure near the edge *PIC*

Winston
I took David's advice and just concentrated pressure near the edge (on the Sigma 6000) when working the back of the blade. I then lightly worked the bevel and back again.

This wasn't enough to completely remove the convexity from the wear bevel, but it apparently did a good enough job at thinning the burr. I sharpened three bevel-down plane blades this way, and was able to give each of them a minimal buff and get very good results. In the past when I've sharpened these bevel-down plane blades and buffed them minimally to avoid clearance issues, I would often end up with an edge that was wavy when viewed in the microscope, and that would translate into not as good a surface.

So, for anyone who's having problems with buffing bevel-down blades: when you work the back of the blade on your fine stone to remove the burr, focus pressure near the edge! And lightly working the bevel and back one more time won't hurt. Then buff the blade lightly.

Time for some microscope shots. This is what the back of the blade looked like before I sharpened it. The dark area is the part that had been abraded by wood shavings.

This is after the stones. There's still a bit of burr hanging on.

This is after the buffing it. The burr is gone, and there's a straight, uniform edge.

I should mention that despite the convexity, I always see consistent scratches all the way to the edge, even before I did the technique of applying extra pressure near the edge. I think that, even without the extra pressure, the slurry is enough to make the scratches there, but not necessarily enough to get the burr to a point where it will come off quickly and cleanly with the buffer.

Finally, here's a picture of the back of the blade after all the sharpening steps. It was hard to to get the light just right, but you can see here that it's reflecting off of the tiny convex portion near the edge.

A bit of convexity on the back remains, but it didn't seem to be a problem. The blade was able to make an extremely smooth surface on some western red cedar I have, and that's a tricky wood to make a consistently smooth surface with -- the soft parts are very, very soft and get crushed easily.

Messages In This Thread

Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
finger pressure...
Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Ruler trick
in plane iron testing, I found two options..
Re: in plane iron testing, I found two options..
testing high angles..
side comment about planing in general..
I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Patience ...
I re-read the articles on COE
High benches and low benches
Re: High benches and low benches
This isn't a snarky response, by the way
Others who do ..
Re: Others who do ..
Where I am going....
by the way...
I risk offending a lot of people...
on the last bit...
One other case for effort...
Something precise.
Re: Initially flat
Rotary tool?
Re: Rotary tool?
Some context
Re: Some context
Re: Some context
A failed attempt *PIC*
Re: A failed attempt
Re: A failed attempt
this is a lie nielsen iron?
Stanley iron
Re: Stanley iron
That pretty much covers it...
Success with applying extra pressure near the edge *PIC*
Directed pressure and progressive work
Re: Success with applying extra pressure near the
Wear bevel *PIC*
Visual difference at the back edge of..
Re: Visual difference at the back edge of..
Sorry, I should've been more precise...
Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade *PIC*
Re: Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081