Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..

David Weaver
I think the block plane will comfortably take the same thickness of shaving because it's less wide. It effectively cuts about 2/3rds of the width (the iron is 1 5/8 vs. 2", but some area at the corners of the iron is unused).

Once the block plane is in the cut, it's a combination of downforce and forward just the way you have to use it to avoid popping the cap off, so it's much like a bevel down plane.

I don't agree that the bevel up plane allows for better working conditions, though - the force vector on a try plane makes for about 4-12 pounds of extra downforce while pushing forward. As long as the sole is treated with wax, this is productive downforce and I think it's probably comfortable and more efficient practically to have the downforce and verticality of the plane. Where this runs awry is when the sole of a plane isn't waxed, but that's a problem on BU planes, too (I learned to cut endgrain in the vise with a smoother rather than the BU jack because the BU jack plane had far more friction at the tips of the straws and the downforce created by the stanley plane orientation makes for more success keeping the plane in the cut).

The rotational force and higher feel with the bevel down stanley types are both essential to me, and the feel of the bevel up planes is not preferable, though it may be for someone just starting. I think once the sole of the plane is waxed, the effort spent on rotational force is minimal (but its function is valuable) and if it seems like extra energy is expended, I can say with certainty that in doing something like sizing a plane blank, one can work about 50% faster with a wooden plane than with any metal plane, no matter the orientation -despite the handle being even higher vs. the cutting surface. That was so clear that it caused me to misjudge edge life on v11 (e.g, if I can take 7 or 8 thosuandths of beech off of a billet with a tall wooden try plane vs. what I could with the veritas custom plane or a BU plane - perhaps 5 thousandths feels the same), the former gets the work done much faster and the amount of plane billet work that I can do with a sharpening cycle is much greater, despite an iron that probably wouldn't even match O1 in a test.

That's separate from all of this - I suspect it will be difficult to take a thicker shaving with the LN 62, but not to plane a greater volume with it. 4 thousandths of 1.05 SG cocobolo with a high angle is hauling. I have measured what I do with the try plane before, and it looks like the following (now I can add pine since I just did a bunch of it).

Trying work with a 2 1/2 inch wide iron:
* Cherry - 7-8 thousandths, typically
* Pine - about a hundredth, sometimes a little more, depending on agreeability of the wood
* ash and beech on the flatsawn face - about 5-6 thousandths, a little more on the quartered face (it planes more easily).

Those are all equal effort. With the veritas custom plane, it was a challenge to get a narrower shaving to be as deep as the wooden plane and a much harder push. If the goal is effort efficiency, the plane has to be wood, not bevel up metal.

Messages In This Thread

Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
Re: Creating a mini-ura with buffing wheel?
finger pressure...
Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Re: Side sharpening
Ruler trick
in plane iron testing, I found two options..
Re: in plane iron testing, I found two options..
testing high angles..
side comment about planing in general..
I'll demonstrate thick sometime ..
Patience ...
I re-read the articles on COE
High benches and low benches
Re: High benches and low benches
This isn't a snarky response, by the way
Others who do ..
Re: Others who do ..
Where I am going....
by the way...
I risk offending a lot of people...
on the last bit...
One other case for effort...
Something precise.
Re: Initially flat
Rotary tool?
Re: Rotary tool?
Some context
Re: Some context
Re: Some context
A failed attempt *PIC*
Re: A failed attempt
Re: A failed attempt
this is a lie nielsen iron?
Stanley iron
Re: Stanley iron
That pretty much covers it...
Success with applying extra pressure near the edge *PIC*
Directed pressure and progressive work
Re: Success with applying extra pressure near the
Wear bevel *PIC*
Visual difference at the back edge of..
Re: Visual difference at the back edge of..
Sorry, I should've been more precise...
Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade *PIC*
Re: Mini-ura on a new Veritas blade
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081