Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: clarfication
Response To:
Re: clarfication ()

David Weaver
I think my comment was inferred to be something else (not by you, Steve), as if it's just a free for all at Williamsburg and the curators and tradesmen just tell different stories.

What I meant by it is that the trades and curators, etc, likely are in agreement in general. When the small details are sussed out and someone isn't just an employee of CW, but is also interested in historical precedent, it's inevitable that there would be some disagreement with what the curators say.

When I went to CW as a child, unless a blacksmith was making nails or one of the typical things they did at the time just so people could see something get completed, they were standing at the front of their areas just talking.

The gun, instrument and cabinet work was stellar. What I don't know about it is whether or not everyone who worked there as a shop master was as bonkers about knowing everything as George was. I'm not going to try to entrap george into saying things that he's read or learned that were different than what the curators said, and at the same time, as a public visitor (unless things have changed a whole lot), we heard from and saw the people in the shop.

Not intending to say anything about the level of work there - it's stellar - better than can be done economically in most places because the work being done isn't dependent on economic viability, and unless the "gates to the zoo are closed so the animals can be animals for a while", there probably isn't a lot of time to just stand in the shop and work without interruption.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081