Hand Tools

Subject:
help re. Autosol posts

Bruce Mack
Generational gap- I cannot successfully use Google site search to find recent posts on Autosol as a final sharpening medium. David has a 2016 post on Autosol ending "I think autosol is quite good, though - it will go well beyond the graded 3 micron size in honing if you put it on something and let it break in and only refresh it with a little stuff at a time (I couldn't tell the difference between MDF and autosol that is broken in a little bit and MDF with green chrome pigment only on it).

I would personally prefer to use autosol over the smaller particles due to its ability to "Break in" and then be refreshed on whatever it's on by just adding a little bit of oil to keep it mobile instead of adding more abrasive

FWIW, if I put autosol on MDF, I have to sharpen two or three chisels on it before it has that fineness. The first thing sharpened on it, it shows its teeth a little bit and about matches an 8k waterstone, as you'd expect."
I recall more recent info on this site or on one of David's videos and today used a just acquired tube on planed pine. Gritty to touch, it quickly produced a blackish green swarf on a few passes of a dull but not damaged chisel. I expected a rough edge but realized I had an Excalibur in my hand with a shiny edge. I want to read more about this if someone can reference the date(s) of recent discussion. Thanks.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081