Hand Tools

Subject:
The experience factor
Response To:
Some notes *PIC* ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Is the claim that it takes experience (weeks, months, years?) to use these natural stones consistent with the division of labor in a shop using hand tools?

During my days with Alan Batty he said that the apprentices did the sharpening. It was their first job to master. I think I recall being told the same at Colonial Williamsburg. If indeed sharpening was an early skill for apprentices to learn, and the rest of the shop was dependent on the result, good enough sharpening would seem to be easy to learn. Apprentices didn't land jobs because they scored 800 on the woodworking SAT.

My pedestrian planing is readily supported by pedestrian sharpening, so I don't have a horse in this race. Just curious what the situation was.

If one needs to clean the saw marks off the top of a drawer side and the plane reliably does the task (today's agenda making drawer parts) it is difficult for me to see how the result could be made better through more experienced sharpening. Difficult for me to see does not mean I am deny the possibility. You all work in a different plane, somewhere high above my good enough.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081