Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Some notes
Response To:
Some notes *PIC* ()

David Weaver
Coticules have separate rub stones. They're generally foreign material (as in, fast cutting stones that slurry easily). I doubt the base stone and the rub stone are similar, and if they are, the coticule pictured here is an unusually slow and fine one.

There are such coticules, but the bulk of them are coarser or the slow cutting ones that cut clear like the second picture (my finer stone may achieve that cleared - I have a third coticule that I haven't pictured, too) .

This is true for the older labeled stones, too, as I've had them (they do vary). One of the worst things about coticules is if one is looking for a fine one that has reasonable enough speed to be used quickly (they do exist), it may take spending $5000 or more to find one, and there's always a loss on selling.

At one point, I had one that was about 11x3 and a really nice natural combination stone that would've fared well under a microscope that was about $300 (which isn't terrible considering how good it was) for a 9.5x2.25 inch stone. Ultimately, it was excellent, and the edge had a nice quality (smooth), but it wasn't more practical than anything else I've gotten so I only kept cheaper stones.

But what's shown in tim's pictures isn't really applicable to any woodworking stones that I'm aware of - it's likely due to a slurry stone and a base stone that aren't the same stone, and much time at very low pressure. A laminated tool or carving tool with a small point of contact probably wouldn't work that well. I tried several of my coticules for tools and the particle shape just isn't that great for them. If you hear of carpenters or tradesmen using them, they're usually from somewhere near belgium.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081