Hand Tools

Subject:
Some notes *PIC*
Response To:
Re: Lots… ()

Warren in Lancaster, PA
3. Precursors to Arkansas stones don't fare so well.

I think this is hard to judge, for two reasons. One is that we don't always have the same natural stones that were used historically. Andre Roubo was complaining about the declining quality of Turkey stones available 250 years ago. We might be looking at stuff that was second quality in the 16th century.

The other thing is that it is hard to get the most out of a stone without considerable experience. I would not expect to get near the performance that Tim Zowada gets from a coticule. His surface with slurry is rougher than 8000 grit and his surface without slurry (same stone) is finer than 30,000 Shapton.

4. Natural stones (both oil and water) are pressure sensitive in a way that synthetics are not.

The King waterstones are pressure sensitive. They can cut faster or slower depending on touch. At one time this quality was considered important.

5. Abrading an oilstone does not have a significant detrimental effect on the edge.

I have certainly seen surfaces that were made with edges from abraded translucent stones that were not as good as what I was getting with a soft Arkansas. There are an awful lot of factors to sort out. Again, skill is a big factor.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081