Hand Tools

Subject:
OT - chainsaw filing question...

David Weaver
.I find that most people who aren't hand toolers or professional fallers have kind of missing nerve endings when it comes to running a chainsaw.

I live in suburbia and only use a saw about once a year or so, but when using (50cc husky) the saw, I generally adhere to the same sense of laziness. I like the saw to pull itself into hardwood and run "about right", just like a hand saw.

We hit rocks and metal from time to time, and the resulting work (removing the damage) blasts away most of the chainsaw files in a single sharpening (And they don't cut very fast to boot). I cleaned up something in our community park last night and hit metal (probably from someone leaving a flyer in the tree).

Halfway through filing today, my file was spent and I was leaning on it, and I decided to pull out a slightly larger in diameter double cut round wood file as I can't my box of chainsaw files. To my surprise, the file cut the whole tooth profile (no need to push the gullet down separately) and filed about 3 times as fast as the chainsaw file.

I think I'm hooked. Chainsaw files are cheap - these little round files are probably 3x as expensive, but I think they would sharpen more than a chainsaw file and when the front edge of a tooth has rock damage, it takes a fraction of the time to work a tooth - 5 or 6 strokes (and no gullet creep).

Anyone else ever done this? I'll take a picture of the two files.

Where did I get the idea of using one of these files on metal? Easy - making plane irons. With unhardened metal, you need something relatively brisk cutting to file out a slot. I've not worn one out yet on plane irons, but they can be a bit aggressive there.

https://i.imgur.com/oyMpQLd.jpg

Messages In This Thread

OT - chainsaw filing question...
Re: OT - chainsaw filing question...
Re: OT - chainsaw filing question...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081