Hand Tools

Subject:
unicorn practical use...

David Weaver
I made a grooving plane yesterday and then mortised an indian rosewood jack plane.

years ago, I got a set of long thin paring chisels from buck brothers. As with may buck tools, they're soft, but the profile is nice. I unicorn profiled the paring chisels and none have taken any damage any of the planemaking (but used to also roll the very end of these chisels from time to time, too, just without dropping the bevels behind the edge). Needless to say, a paring chisel works better with this profile than just rounding the tip over further. They're narrow and the work is inside of a plane, so it doesn't matter much.

They don't hold up well between 25 and 30 degrees with a flat bevel.

I did the mortising of the plane with a 28 oz verawood mallet and the 1" sorby chisel. This chisel isn't exactly the first thing you'd pick to mortise rosewood and I had to resharpen once in the middle of mortising (more like i chose to, but I saw small damage occurring). I resharpened again at the end of the mortising pare the sidwalls of the mortise and it stayed in good shape. So about a minute of sharpening for 20 minutes of mortising and cleaning up.

The work was pleasant. Normal sharpening and use of this chisel for something like cherry halfblinds resulted in an obnoxious situation of constantly working with a damaged edge.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081