Hand Tools

Subject:
preference
Response To:
An unrelated question ()

David Weaver
I'm guessing here, but the decline of tools other than for site use (I can't imagine that plane use was even that significant in factories where a lot of trade workers were already working by then - at least by notes that I've received in sharpening stones) must've had something to do with it.

I've seen accounts from folks on SMC a decade and a half ago when I first started where they mentioned their grandparents' (or older) celebration of metal planes that didn't move seasonally.

There's a huge number of wooden planes left in england and they were made in ever faster traditional fashion up to the end (60s? 70s?), and the fellow who got me into woodworking had a dad who was a joiner from 40s through 80s. He had a bullnose infill, a stanley 4 and a record 5 1/2 - no wooden planes).

I get the sense that a typical stanley plane was around 1/2 day to 1 day's pay for a skilled tradesman in the early 1900s. I'd be surprised if a wooden plane cost that much. an old ward's catalog around that time would probably be helpful.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081