Hand Tools

Subject:
forgot the S-W reference

David Weaver
after part of a lifetime of using cheap paints that must have some consumer forgiving quality combined with lower pigment concentration, we had a room done.

The contractor gave me S-W numbers for the trim and wall based on what we wanted (higher dollar contractor who is hands on, no interest in flooring or paint but he'll help you get the right stuff) - he said something like pro block (which is sandable in an hour after prime) and then the paint was a high solids trim paint and he said "paint it on, don't play with it. you can't go back and fiddle with something you painted - just paint and move on".

This stain is like that - there's nothing to play with. It's on, and then it's off. If you faff with it too much, the result is worse, no better. Given that I don't particularly favor sanding or staining in general, this is a nice thing.

(I've spent the money for S-W paint since then - I think it's a bit steep, but it's twice as fast to paint with. My FIL likes to help paint here sometimes and he really gets satisfaction from playing with an area that he's painting for a long time, so we buy him paint at home depot. I have no idea what he's doing, but it's an old PA dutch kind of thing I think - self torture through some unnecessary work to absolve guilt - "no schusslich, take your time" or you could end up getting quick and making "hinkel drecht")

(translated, a fast sloppy effort that doesn't show great care will lead to chicken poop).

- another unexpected side benefit from this is finding a method and a concentration that will work well on guitars, which I've thus far not colored beyond whatever is in a given finish. Most guitars are colored with dye, which is better than it probably was 50 years ago, but it's still not lightfast.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081