Hand Tools

Subject:
reminds me of sherwin williams..

David Weaver
colored the fronts of the door panels after being comfortable with the back. they are better finished than the fronts. First panel, I tried some way to get my power sanders involved to at least justify having them, but it was nothing but a waste of time.

A fast scrape and then 220 grit machine paper with the grain ending with a light touch and application is easy and even.

The uniformity after the first coat, but wood grain remains.
https://i.imgur.com/aGAykb1.jpg

The panels after 2 - overhead lighting goes a long way to making this look less even than it is, and making the panel on the left turned away from the lights look much darker.

https://i.imgur.com/YaPed6S.jpg

amber shellac will obscure some of the irregularity that is in it, and may add some (pleasant type).

The cost to make a can of this is about 30-35 bucks. I can see that as undesirable. It goes so far, though, that i think it would color about 6 large projects. it's too concentrated to penetrate much, so you lay it onto a surface and it's only mildly wet, make sure you've gotten it on everything without leaving a cake anywhere, and then just turn the rag to the side and use the dry rag to even out and remove any excess. The excess instead of being a liquid and penetrating into areas just sits on top like a thin cakey film. super easy, no waiting for anything. If you see a spot that looks a little bit too thick in different light a couple of minutes later, you can still use a bit of dry rag and rub it to lighten it, but only the excess comes off easily and then the rest of what's there doesn't come off further and leave a light spot.

From now on, anything furniture that gets stained, I will do like this. It will make things like the quirk next to the bead easy because the quirk will take color, but there's plenty of time to run something down the length of the quirk to remove the excess - and without removing color.

I'd really dreaded figuring out a good lightfast color and whatever process it might take to prep for it, but easy prep seems to work better than arduous.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081