Hand Tools

Subject:
Success on the coloring...I think.

David Weaver
I'm getting close to putting the stuff together on the cabinet - I need to make a small bottom moulding and then pre-finish the door panels and bits and pieces.

The mrs still wants color- i want natural. Color to her is just short of paint (She would prefer paint - I would not). All canned minwax stains came up short and I am not spraying this to tone something as I have no dedicated spray area and I can spray clear, but colored something or other sprayed would have a permanent effect!), so japan color mixed with minwax stain base, and if there's some kind of problem with that (don't spoil my fun yet, bill), I'll just use straight micronized pigment from kremer (i have the same colors of pigment).

This is a test with minwax gunstock (sort of the color the mrs. likes, some kind of reddish brown, but way too weak) stain mixed roughly 2 parts stain, 1 part raw umber ronan japan color, and one part same thing burnt sienna. I doubt much of the color at this point is minwax stain, I just need the liquid to make it a little bit more runny to apply it.

From right to left is:
far right:
* early attempts at finding the darkest possible stain and applying it over and over. It looks bad because it's not intended to do what i'm looking for. I found the stain condition to be no help with this
* Then, the mix mentioned above (extremely potent)
* and, just to the left, the gunstock stain only with a little bit of raw umber japan color added (less potent).
* far left is obviously bare wood

This goes on easy - you wipe it on and done. not sloppy wet, just dampened on a tshirt and it's uniform in one pass. make another pass while still damp, it seems to make no difference - no more sticks, so the uniformity is good. No tons of oil carrying pigment down into other areas.

Note that the middle two pieces are just planed, not sanded. there is runout on the piece second from the right, so any lack of uniformity is about as bad as it will get anywhere on the cabinet.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081