Hand Tools

Subject:
long term benefit...

David Weaver
..you will become very fast at near-finish planing if you choose. By this, I mean removing any of the anomalies that sanded finishers hate (little tiny bits of runout with different finish absorption) and even if you scrape and sand or just sand, those follow-up steps will be very little.

The result will be the option to keep much more crisp lines if you want them. I realize this isn't stylish these days (to have very very crisp lines like the old seaton saw handles had), but the visual effect is stunning (not particularly durable with kids present, but stunning).

George coached me up on this aesthetic very early on, and I've been hooked since where it's possible. dividing curved and flat surfaces ( or anywhere else appropriate) with as crisp of a line as possible. George didn't coach me up on how to get it (he doesn't care about dogmatic method talk - he cares about the visual standard).

Sanding is one of my least favorite things in the world to do. It's completely lacking stimulation and you have to plan to have stock available to sand (and stay on top of it so that you don't get halfway through a project and need to get in the car to go get more, or wait for an order). It's methodical, and progressive if done right and no stray marks or fishhooks left behind. Industrial, dusty, etc, but reliable. In the event that I'm sanding something (like the cabinet in process), if everything can be made to a standard that allows for sanding with a single grit, that's far better.

Needing to take a thin shaving at the very end is the last little bit that really narrows scraping and sanding time. If the surface will be a finished surface without scraping or sanding, much care is needed to make sure the iron has zero defects in it. The same is true of scraping if finishing off of scraping - the burr has to be perfect.

This kind of thing wasn't popular on Knots, though I'm fairly sure now that most of the people claiming to be masters there didn't make much for pay that was worthy of posting. Because.... we didn't see it.

My overall objection to sanding is much deadened after experimenting with several pieces in a/b photos, but the fact that if it's relied on too much, the crispness of the work can end up blah is not deadened.

Your work is crisp and the lines match - nothing to worry about in that case.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081