Hand Tools

Subject:
Angle....

David Weaver
Agree on the angle being more important than the friction, but perhaps since we're looking for a certain amount of holding, it needs to be had either from friction or angle, and we cancel out one and then need to compensate with the other.

Practically, I've been doing what warren does - polishing the contact area and then just using the tool, and that's that. I guess the conclusion from that is that polishing allows for a consistent familiar area so that the other part of the equation (angle manipulation) can be done without interference.

I looked closely at the center of my stanley cap iron last night, but noticed that I'd left a couple of dull but deep scratches in spots on it so figured that I wouldn't take pictures!! That said, with the naked eye, I couldn't see much difference from one end of the cap iron to the other (no real wear), just very faint tiny marking that could very well have been due to a few examples of abrasive wood.

https://i.imgur.com/YXmQDNF.jpg

And then I finished the job and zipped off the insignificant irregularities that I'd left behind last time with the deburring wheel and the buffer (all further up on the curve than where the shaving would contact, but ruining the picture opportunity nonetheless).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081