Hand Tools

Subject:
could be...
Response To:
Goal ()

David Weaver
..that could be the conclusion. It's been so long since I didn't publish the contact part of a cap iron that I couldn't make much comment about the value of the polish.

But that habit started with building wooden planes where there's another factor - choking if the cap iron isn't set up right - the part that Larry always assumed made it harder for a plane to feed right is precisely what makes it feed *better* than without.

Everyone here knows about my buffer and deburring wheel - a good way to polish a cap iron that's been filed or stoned into geometry, and to remove the persistent wire edge that can be formed on mild steel :b

The fact that there's not a lot of wear on a cap (and warren has said similar things before - especially when the internet cowboys watched the KK video and started talking about honing methods for upkeep of cap irons - actually, that was an argument against it for folks who couldn't live with the idea that some of their loved planes may be outperformed) is a strike in a reasonable man's test about friction. The wear on the iron is stark. I've seen many pictures, and made many.

https://i.imgur.com/kJSaaei.jpg

My scope would not take pictures of a curved surface, but I have a cheaper handheld scope that would allow for examining the center of a cap iron vs. the edges (where more of the original polish may be present).

These are the kinds of things we think of, I guess (we...me) when we've solved all of the other practical problems.

I did order the teflon spray to play with it - I have use for it elsewhere (shovels, etc) where I'd like to try it. The literature on it states that it doesn't last that long on smooth surfaces.

If i was smarter, I also would've realized that I could've just rubbed the cap iron surface on paraffin while the plane was apart, and removed just a little polish from it after that with 220 sandpaper or something, to see what can be felt.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081